Friday, April 12, 2013

Fish sticks and lady fingers

Last night I attended a performance of the Fully Functional Cabaret on the campus of Smith College. Tonight's the last stop on their tour, otherwise I would tell you to go see it. Fingers crossed they will be able to tour the rest of the country with it.

This particular venue was especially interesting because Smith recently refused to consider an application from a trans woman based on her gender, a case that has gotten a lot of attention. One of the performers last night sat out of the Q&A in protest of the college's unofficial policy of exclusion. Another of the performers has started a petition calling for a boycott of the Michigan Women's Music Festival until they reverse their policy excluding trans women from the festival. So, you know, sign that.

It breaks my heart to see cisgender women who are self-identified feminists act this way toward other women out of ignorance and fear. Patriarchy, you make me sad.

Haiku for April 11, 2013

Trans women belong
In women-only spaces
Cuz they're women. Duh.

p.s. Also, I got to ride in a circa 1980s, smelly limo with a leaky roof, in the rain, and drink whiskey out of a plastic cup. And you didn't. Unless you were one of my five friends who were in it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.
Each time someone comments here
A fairy gets wings.