Sunday, November 3, 2013

The sincerest form of flattery

So last Thursday night a dear friend shows up to the Halloween show looking pretty damn stylish. Plaid shirt, argyle sweater vest, bow tie, black cap. I'm not about to ask, "What are you dressed as?" because I want to figure it out. I do almost say, "Hey man, you look extra fly tonight," but I'm shy sometimes.

A short while later, this friend wordlessly hands me a slip of paper that reads:


My jaw crashes through the floor and into the basement.

I then have several more costume details pointed out to me, like a plaid fanny pack, the patchy "future haircut" I got a couple months ago, and my wrist tattoos, which my friend has duplicated expertly with a sharpie.

Also, eight more little slips of paper with a haiku on each.

I was really touched, and I maybe it's because I'm self-obsessed and vain. And maybe it's because I felt loved, and seen, and appreciated. If I have done anything to deserve such honor and beauty in my life, I hope I keep on doing it.

4 comments:

  1. I assume you know
    How much love that was born of
    Appreciated? YES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, move over bro
      there is a new cal in town
      and his name is me

      Delete
  3. When you've got Purple Rain money
    You can put eight syllables
    In haikus' first lines

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.
Each time someone comments here
A fairy gets wings.