Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Queers of the Stone Age, or My Dinner with Homo Erectus

At dinner tonight (a Women's Freedom Center fundraiser at Fireworks), I was complaining (like I do) about having to eat multiple times a day in order to maintain the high metabolism of a warm-blooded mammal. I am missing the evolutionary characteristic of thinking about food between meals. I should have been a snake. Then I could eat once a month for about five hours, get a big kick out of it, and go back to living my life.

I suggested that, in the stone ages when there were no restaurants, I would have died already. Another friend, who wears glasses, worried they would also be dead, having been eaten by something big. Then it dawned on me that prehistoric us might have teamed up and saved each other's lives. My cave-buddy would remind me to eat, as I looked out for danger.

We think it would go a little something like this:

Haiku for Paleolithic Cooperation

There's no glasses yet
Hold my hand and run with me
There's a bear coming
Many hands make light work. And sometimes dinner.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. you're just saying that cuz you helped write it. ;)

      Delete
    2. that seems just fine

      Delete
  2. the title of this cracks me up

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFIGX6EfSSc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like the haiku to refer to mutually beneficial aspect of this relationship. Maybe that would be a second stanza. Is there such a thing in haiku?

    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honey, there is now...

    "Here's some berries, friend."
    "Didn't I eat yesterday?"
    "You are not a snake."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.
Each time someone comments here
A fairy gets wings.