Wednesday, September 3, 2014

OMG

On Sunday night I saw my friends' band play, and I'm really pleased that I've seen them enough times now that I get their songs stuck in my head. Also, I had the urge, on more than one occasion that night, to throw my hands in the air in a gesture that I associate with my evangelical Christian upbringing.

From infancy, I was surrounded by fervent, ecstatic prayer and song, often accompanied by tambourines, speaking in tongues, jumping, clapping, and raising of hands. It moved me greatly, until one day (around age 12) when it didn't, and I haven't looked back. Until the other night.

I didn't give in to the urge, even though I totally could've made it look rock-n-roll rather than holy roller. But I am still trying to put my finger on just what it was that made me want to reach out, reach up to something bigger than myself, hold my arms up to receive, or maybe surrender.

Short Poem for a Tall Spirit

How do I praise now?
How do I touch my heart to
Something that's not God?

Ooh, let's play a game. Rock concert or tent revival?








































_____________________________________
Answers: 1. Rock. 2. Jesus. 3. Rock. 4. Jesus

3 comments:

  1. shit shit shit saw the
    answers too quickly but I
    totally called 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried to fix it so
    Answers aren't so obvious.
    4's still too easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! They all look like tent revival!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.
Each time someone comments here
A fairy gets wings.